PASO protects Colombian activists and empowers organizers across international borders as agents of change in the struggle for justice in the workplace, environmental protection and lasting social equality through physical accompaniment, grassroots education, organizing, research and advocacy.
Based in Bogota, Colombia, PASO combines international protection strategies with organizing models that have been successfully employed in other parts of the world to win real victories in the areas mentioned previously and build momentum in the movement for peace and social justice in Colombia. Such models draw on a multipronged approach to grassroots organizing with workers and other marginalized groups (including intensive oneonone outreach), nonviolent direct action, the empowerment of women, coalitionbuilding, and mass communication strategies.
Our theory is that we can build power through small victories, building momentum and participation in our campaigns, as part of the broader global movement for social justice. Only with increased numbers and confidence can we hope to bring about structural changes needed to forward a progressive agenda in Colombia. We are a nonviolent, nonpartisan organization and work only at the request of our Colombian partners
A video describing our model of international solidarity can be viewed HERE.
PASO provides protection for Colombian organizers involved in nonviolent protests, grassroots organizing, social dialogue, community-labor partnerships and the environmental movement. We develop collective strategies with unions, social justice organizations, students, and civil society to monitor human and labor rights. We also facilitate educational exchanges between workers and activists in which participants can share ideas about organizing and issues that affect disenfranchised communities on a global scale. A priority is placed on processes in which women and people of color have leading roles.
The organization is designed to:
- Reduce violent repression that continues to target Colombian activists and organizers by means of collective protection through international observation and solidarity
- Raise awareness in Colombia and internationally about inequality, human rights abuses, and environmental degradation
- Empower people everywhere through organization and nonviolent action
- Fortify the global labor movement, increase levels of union membership, and promote international cooperation between unions
- Provide leadertoleader education
- Conduct research and educate civil society in Colombia about the country’s social justice movement
- Collaborate with Colombian unions, social justice groups, and human rights organizations in developing and executing strategies for action, advocacy, women’s empowerment, communications, and self-protection.